4 green bell peppers
1 cup of brown rice
2 cups of low sodium chicken broth
1 small can of tomato sauce
1 lb of hamburg or turkey (I use turkey)
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp Italian seasoning
2 tsp garlic powder
A little shredded cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook your brown rice using the chicken broth
2. While your rice is cooking, brown the meat with the onion
3. Clean the seeds and ribs from your peppers, (you can just cut the tops off or cut them in half), blanch 2-3 minutes, don't overcook
4. Mix meat mixture, rice, seasoning and tomato sauce.
5. Place peppers in baking dish and fill with stuffing.
6. Top each pepper with a little bit of cheese
7. Bake at 350 for 20 or so minutes.
You can just make the rice in water, but I like the extra flavor the chicken broth gives the dish. Again, you can make this with turkey or hamburg, but turkey is the healthier option. The peppers are even better the next day! I wish Hubby liked green peppers so I could make them more often!