I loved this soup. It was rich and creamy with a kick. Hubby wasn't in love with the chickpeas, but he would have been 100% sold if I had added some shredded chicken.
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped (I left this out.)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 cup tomatoes, chopped
1 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 (14 ounce) can light coconut milk
3/4 cup brown rice, cooked
2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
1. In medium stockpot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, and chili; cook, stirring until softened, about 5 minutes.
2. Add garlic and cook stirring constantly, 1 minute.
3. Add the broth, chickpeas, tomatoes, curry powder, salt, and black pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat.
4. Reduce heat and simmer gently, uncovered, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
5. Add the remaining ingredients and cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 5 minutes. Serve warm.